GOVERNMENT OF INDIAGOVERNMENT OF INDIA
A Digital India Initiative

State wise functioning Primary Health Centres (PHCs) in Government Buildings of India as on 31st March 2014

February 24, 2015

Observation: The Primary Health Centres (PHCs) are the cornerstone of rural healthcare. Primary health centres and their sub-centres meet the health care needs of rural population. The PHCs are established and maintained by the State Governments under the Minimum Needs Programme (MNP)/ Basic Minimum Services (BMS) Programme. It acts as a referral unit for 6 Sub Centres and has 4-6 beds for patients. Apart from the regular medical treatments, PHCs in India have some special focuses like Infant immunization programs, Anti-epidemic programs, Birth control programs, Pregnancy & related care and Emergencies.

At All India level as on 31st March 2014, there are 25020 Number of PHCs functioning. Out of 25020 PHCs, more than 80% are functioning in Government owned Buildings and rest are functioning in “Rented Buildings” and “Rent Free Panchayat/Vol. Society Buildings”. On the basis of number of PHCs functioning in Govt. Buildings, top 5 States/UTs are: Uttar Pradesh with 3392 PHCs functioning in Govt. Buildings i.e. 97% (105 PHCs in rented Building and 0 PHCs in Rent Free Panchayat/Vol. Society Buildings).

Karnataka with 2160 PHCs functioning in Govt. Buildings i.e. 97% (3 PHCs in rented Building and 70 PHCs in Rent Free Panchayat/Vol. Society Buildings). Maharashtra with 1645 PHCs functioning in Govt. Buildings i.e. 91% (6 PHCs in rented Building and 160 PHCs in Rent Free Panchayat/Vol. Society Buildings). Rajasthan with 1426 PHCs functioning in Govt. Buildings i.e. 68% (3 PHCs in rented Building and 653 PHCs in Rent Free Panchayat/Vol. Society Buildings). Andhra Pradesh with 1296 PHCs functioning in Govt. Buildings i.e. 76% (413 PHCs in rented Building and 0 PHCs in Rent Free Panchayat/Vol. Society Buildings).

There are 13 States/UTs where all PHCs are functioning in Govt. Buildings; i.e. Arunachal Pradesh (117 PHCs), Goa (21 PHCs), Manipur (85 PHCs), Meghalaya (108 PHCs), Mizoram (57 PHCs), Sikkim (24 PHCs), Tripura (84 PHCs), West Bengal (909 PHCs), Andaman & Nicobar (22 PHCs), Dadra & Nagar Haveli (7 PHCs), Daman & Diu (3 PHCs), Delhi (5 PHCs), Puducherry (24 PHCs).

Note: NA – Not Available ; 1: All India figure of required number of building to be constructed = Total functioning – (Government Buildings + Under construction) (ignoring States/Uts having excess.); * States having construction in excess of number of building required.

View in Visualization Tool
Source: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Department of Health and Family Welfare