Jabalpur: Fighting COVID-19 through ICCC
Jabalpur was the first city in Madhya Pradesh (MP) where a COVID positive case was registered. With this information, the city administration became alert and stepped into the field to fight this pandemic with full strength.
Action plans were prepared in coordination with various departments like District Administration, Municipal Corporation, Police Department, Health Department etc. The most important component of this action plan was to establish a unified control room so that coordination between different departments could be made and information exchange was possible in an easy manner.
Jabalpur already had an Integrated Command & Control Centre (ICCC) established under the Smart City Mission. It converted it into a 24X7 COVID war room.
The ICCC Room is being used to counter the challenges on all fronts. ICCC has deployed more than 100 officers and employees in three consecutive 24 x 7 shifts. The city aspired to fight this tough time and make the most use of ICCC.
The ICCC is using data to:
● Maintain live COVID dashboard
● Monitor patients with foreign or local travel history
● Geotag the home quarantined
● Determine and geofence containment zones
● Deploy Rapid Response Teams (RRT) and Mobile Action Units (MAU)
● Manage queries and medical emergencies through integrated helpline
● Providing telehealth facilities
● Coordinating with Municipality Kitchens and Food Distribution Teams
1. Monitoring home quarantined through GIS
A list of 725 passengers who had foreign travel history was provided by the State Government. All of them were registered with “Sarthak” app issued by the Government of Madhya Pradesh and had been home quarantined.
These citizens were listed, and their location mapped on GIS. Every day, information about their health and needs was collected and met from the control room and updated in the software. As of date 11,354 citizen’s data is registered on the Sarthak dashboard.
2. Determining Containment Zones
Households of COVID positive patients and their high-risk contacts are geotagged, and 200 m as well as 1 km buffer zone is prepared through GIS. Based on this information, barriers are fixed, and the prohibited area is declared as a containment zone.
Live Online COVID Dashboard : https://jscljabalpur.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/fa46b5c6471346f8876e835a358c80a6
Jabalpur 311 app is used for monitoring the Allied Response Team which ensures that the team is continuously present on the field. All the 79 ward officers are geofenced ward wise i.e. their attendance would be marked as present only if they are present physically at their designated ward.
3. Lockdown monitoring
● Real Time Tracking of individuals entering the city: The lockdown was strictly followed by the Jabalpur administration. Entry-exit points of all city boundaries were sealed. Check post points were prepared from place to place.
A Google form was provided to teams deployed at various check posts which reflects real time data of citizens entering through the borders of Jabalpur. Till date around 1,800 people have entered Jabalpur city that are kept in surveillance from ICCC.
Under special circumstances, the health of a person visiting the city is prepared and their health continuously monitored. They have also been in touch with the Corona War Room.
● The Integrated Traffic Management system of Jabalpur Smart City, installed at 15 junctions of Jabalpur city, was utilized during the curfews.
● Tracking individuals with local travel history:A self-declaration is being taken from all citizens of Jabalpur city to register their local travel history (from 10th march) with travel date and mode of travel along with symptoms (if any). This list is being bifurcated into various zones ward wise and sent to RRT’s for surveillance. They are being kept under surveillance from ICCC as well. Till now 18,108 people have sent their responses through calls and Google form.
The control room at ICCC is bifurcating calls into 8 categories as Type “A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H” as designated by the state. Through the PRI system the city has 15 helplines from 07612637501 to 15 with the facility of recording calls.
Calls which require immediate medical attention are transferred to the Medical team who are in the same premises 24×7. Till date 4,806 complaints/calls have been registered,out of which 3,431 complaints have been satisfactorily closed.
5. Jabalpur Smart Surveillance: JSS COVID-19
Jabalpur Smart City Limited developed a platform named as JSS COVID (Jabalpur Surveillance System Covid) to cater the huge data coming from various sources and converging into the ICCC. In this system all the complaints/information which are being captured either through Helpline number, self-declaration information via Google forms for travel history, 14 check post information of Jabalpur is being brought under a single link. With the help of this link if any complaint is entered in the system real-time SMS goes to the concerned Rapid Response Team (RRT) for respective action. Also if any food complaint is received in the portal the same information gets transferred to the respective DE of Municipal Corporation Jabalpur. The concerned RRT / DE are enabled to check the number of complaints pending and the complaints which were resolved by them.
● Reduction of manual exercise for data entry.
● Real time data entry.
● Integration of all resources in 1 common platform.
● Real time assignment of issues to respective RRT.
● Timely disposal of issues.
● Integrated tracking of issues with escalation.
● One point stop for citizen services during COVID.
● Making available to the citizen various government circulars on COVID 19.
Impact and the road ahead
Despite recording the first case on March 20, 2020, the city managed to tackle the virus spread through data-driven governance and motivated administrative efforts. The good practices of Jabalpur and the extraordinary steps taken to stop the virus spread has been recognized in SCM best practices document by MoHUA, GOI.
The ICCC at Jabalpur Smart City has played an important role in the fight against Coronavirus. Due to which the Jabalpur administration has succeeded in preventing the corona virus from spreading in the city in the initial stage itself. Our efforts are continuing even further.