National Education Policy Theme based data available at Open Government Data Portal India
July 20, 2015
National Policy on Education
National Policy on Education was framed in 1986 and modified in 1992. Since then several changes have taken place that calls for a revision of the Policy. Therefore with the changing times it is imperative that the Government of India is keen to bring out a National Education Policy to meet the changing dynamics of the population’s requirement with regards to ensuring quality education, innovation and research. In the process making India a knowledge superpower by equipping its students with the necessary skills and knowledge and eliminate the shortage of manpower in science, technology, academics and industry. For this purpose, 33 themes have been identified for discussions under this Group.
The themes are divided separately for the School Education (13 themes) and Higher Education (20 themes) sectors.
School Education Themes
- Ensuring Learning Outcomes in Elementary Education
- Extending outreach of Secondary and Senior Secondary Education
- Strengthening of Vocational Education
- Reforming School Examination Systems
- Revamping Teacher Education for Quality Teachers
- Accelerating rural literacy with special emphasis on Women, SCs, STs & Minorities through Adult Education and National Open Schooling Systems
- Promotion of Information and Communication Technology systems in school and adult education
- New Knowledge, pedagogies and approaches for teaching of Science, Maths and Technology in School Education to improve learning outcomes of Students
- School standards, School assessment and School Management systems
- Enabling Inclusive Education – education of Girls, SCs, STs, Minorities and children with special needs
- Promotion of Languages
- Comprehensive Education – Ethics, Physical Education, Arts & Crafts, Life Skills
- Focus on Child Health
Higher Education Themes
- Governance reforms for quality
- Ranking of institutions and accreditations
- Improving the quality of regulation
- Pace setting roles of central institutions
- Improving State public universities
- Integrating skill development in higher education
- Promoting Open and Distance Learning (ODL) and online courses
- Opportunities for technology enabled learning
- Addressing regional disparity
- Bridging gender and social gaps
- Linking higher education to society
- Developing the best teachers
- Sustaining student support systems
- Promote cultural integration through language
- Meaningful partnership with the private sector
Open Government Data Platform India
The National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP) was gazette notified by Government of India in March 2012 to promote a culture of data sharing and data utility for larger socio-economic goal. Adhering to the norms laid out by this policy, the National Informatics Centre (NIC) has set up Open Government Data (OGD) Platform India – (http://data.gov.in) which is a state of the art dynamic data sharing platform espousing the principle of Open Government Data. The portal has many rich features to support this policy such as ‘Search & Discovery’ mechanism for instant access to various datasets of great importance, community engagements around published datasets for innovative applications on open data with an ability to provide customized citizen services. Tools/Apps/Visualization so developed by using this platform has played a pivotal role in increasing the level of transparency and citizens’ participation in the governance process.
Availability of Education Data at OGD Platform
There are a lot of datasets related to School as well as higher education available on data.gov.in and can be accessed from the url: https://data.gov.in/catalogs/ministry_department/ministry-human-resource-development.
All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE)
Data is being collected on following broad items – Institution’s Basic Details – Teacher’s Details – Details of Non-Teaching Staff – Programme conducted under various Faculties/Schools & Departments/Centres – Students enrolled in these Programme – Examination result of terminal year of each Programme – Financial Information such as Receipt and Expenditure under various heads – Availability of Infrastructure – Scholarships, Loans & Accreditation
AISHE data is also available on OGD Platform and can be accessed from the url: https://data.gov.in/catalogs?query=AISHE%20Survey&sort_by=search_api_relevance
Apps which can be developed
- App for the analysis of the marks of the students – by type of school, on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts), by gender wise/ category wise (General/SC/ST) as well as on urban/rural/Tribal.
- App for measuring enrolment ratio – by type of school, on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts), by gender wise/ category wise (General/SC/ST) as well as on urban/rural/Tribal.
- App for measuring Dropout rate – by type of school, on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts), by gender wise/ category wise (General/SC/ST) as well as on urban/rural/Tribal.
- App for determining the availability of teachers – by education level of teachers (TET , BEd, MEd, NET, PHD), type of school, on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts), by gender wise/ category wise (General/SC/ST) as well as on urban/rural/Tribal. Students/Teachers ratio.
- App for assessment of various facilities in Schools like Computer, Library and Computer per student ratio.
- App describing the admission in various educational institutes, cut-off marks (Subject wise/Category wise like General/SC/ST).
- App for accessing the availability of mid day meal, ingredients along with nutritional values – on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts) as well as on urban/rural/Tribal. Incidence of sickness.
- App for accessing the availability of various schools/ Technical Institutes – on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts) as well as on urban/rural/Tribal. School/Institutes vis-à-vis Population of the area (Total Population, Population in the age bracket of 5-25 Years.) School/Institutes per thousand of population.
- App for checking of attendance by teachers given by Adhar enabled bio-metric attendance System.
- App for gathering information like number of seats available for students at various School/Institutes – on the basis of geographical area (State/District/Sub districts), Category wise (General/SC/ST)